Monday, February 1, 2010

Calculus

I love calculus. I thought I should just throw that out there.... What I don't like however, is when you know you are doing your calculus right, but the online computer program with which you have to submit your homework keeps telling you your answer is wrong. I mean, come on people! We all know that the indefinite integral of the acceleration function -9sin(-3t) with respect to time equals -3cos(-3t) + C. And with the given condition that at t=0, the velocity function equals 1, then we should be able to conclude that C = 4, therefore the final correct answer is -3cos(-3t)+4. Am I right?!?!??? Seriously, you do it and see what answer you get because mine obviously isn't working.



5 comments:

Dan said...

I think you've got a problem with an extra negative. Let me check my calculus book at work tomorrow morning, then I will set you straight.

Dan said...

No, I think you are right. It checks out graphically and stuff. Sometimes the computer is just retarded and the correct answer is wrong. Try submitting the answer while playing with some of the negative signs.

Dan said...

or give up. that's what i'd do.

Dan said...

that was megan.

ryan said...

Yeah, finally today it accepted it as the right answer... But the second part of the question, which asks for the position function is still wrong... even though it should be right... Grr, I can't trust my teacher or the homework program ever again. Haha oh well, thanks for the help.